“Up to 90% of U.S. soybeans, corn, cotton, canola, and sugar beets are now genetically engineered and routinely inserted into human and animal foods with no labels or safety for testing”
“Approximately 80% of current grocery food items contain GMOs; while according to U.S. Department of Agriculture statistics, the majority of beef, pork, poultry, dairy, and eggs come from CAFOs”
“Almost every other industrialized country has regulations to label genetically modified foods, except for the U.S”.
This according to the Organic Consumers Association
If someone were to ask me why I started this website, this topic would be my resounding reason! There is no other topic I am more passionate about than genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or genetically engineered (GE) foods, (they are one in the same) and the LACK OF LABELING in our country.
Consider this: What if over half the food being sold in grocery stores contains pesticides and there are no warning labels? What if you develop cancer in 10 years because of it? How do these chemicals affect unborn fetuses? Do you think this is fair? Wouldn’t you WANT to know?
So what exactly is all this talk about GMOs? Well the molecular engineers working in labs for Monsanto, the giant American biotech company, are gene-splicing vegetable seedlings with poisonous pesticides and herbicides so that the plants are protected from diseases, insects etc. Plants are growing with chemicals like RoundUp already IN THEM. Some countries are boycotting exports of vegetables to their country for this exact reason. So in other words, the SEEDS you are buying to make your garden this summer have ALREADY BEEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED!!
One of the disturbing facts I have come across during my research is the active ingredient, glyphosate, found in Monsanto’s Roundup formula. This ingredient is currently under “Registration Review’ by the EPA, with a determination by 2015. A research paper has shown the devastating effects on rats fed diets with this genetically modified corn laced with RoundUp. Please read the article “Ban Monstanto’s Birth Defect and Cancer Causing Roundup“. Please be forewarned … there are some disturbing pictures.
According to the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) website: “…because GM foods have not been properly tested for human consumption, and because there is ample evidence of probable harm, the AAEM asks:
- Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks.
- Physicians to consider the possible role of GM foods in the disease processes of the patients they treat and to document any changes in patient health when changing from GM food to non-GM food.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND GMOs?
GMOs are in most packaged foods you find in your supermarket, along with your dairy, your meat, and your produce. If you choose to not eat organic, the only way of knowing is to start reading your labels. If any of the following are on it, then you probably have a GM food. Although this list is not complete by any means, it should give you a pretty clear idea how wide spread GM foods are. WARNING: EVEN READING EVERY LABEL MAY NOT TELL YOU IF YOU ARE CONSUMING A GM PRODUCT BECAUSE MANUFACTURERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO LABEL EVERY INGREDIENT IN THE UNITED STATES!!!!
- Soybean- Genetically modified to be resistant to herbicides (found in cereal, ice cream, frozen yogurt, infant formula, margarine, crackers, breads, cookies, chocolate)
- Corn – also been designed to resist certain pesticides (found in corn oil, syrup, sugar, corn flour, corn starch, chips, candy, powdered sugar, salad dressing, alcohol, vanilla, margarine, pasta)
- Canola (oil, found in fried foods, baked products)
- Cotton (peanut butter, crackers, cookies)
- Rapeseed- Glucosinolates, which were found in rapeseed meal leftover from pressing, are toxic. In Canada, where “double-zero” rapeseed was developed, the crop was renamed “canola” (Canadian oil) to differentiate it from non-edible rapeseed
- Potatoes – I’ve found mixed research on this. Some sites say the only potato genetically modified is the Russet Burbank, other sites say Atlantic, Russett Burbank, Russet Norkatah, and Shepody potatoes. (found in fast food/restaurant type fries and processed potato products)
- Dairy products (depends if animal was fed a GM diet and injected with rBGH which would infiltrate it’s products such as milk, cheese, butter, sour cream)
- Animal products (depends on if the animal was fed a GM diet, could be as much as all animal products)
- Vegetable Oil- Most generic vegetable oils and margarines used in restaurants and in processed foods in North America are made from soy, corn, canola, or cottonseed. Unless these oils specifically say “NonGMO” or “Organic,” it is probably genetically modified
There is good news though! There is a Non GMO shoppers guide listed on nongmoshoppingguide.com which is amazing!!! It lists all the foods by category and the manufacturers who are certified Non-GMO. You can download it to your phone! I love technology!!
MY CONCLUSION: There are a lot of mixed reviews concerning genetically modified foods. A lot of research is held under data protection by companies, and I personally believe the science and study of GM foods is still young. One of the reasons manufacturers don’t have to label GMs is it’s very complex to do so for processed foods that have several ingredients that come from different sources. Like flavors for instance, it is almost impossible to maintain non-GMO with 100% certainty. Very few processed food products are absolutely non-GMO unless you have a single ingredient from a single source such as sugar, all you need is an animal eating GM corn and everything coming from it will now be modified. And most companies do not test their product for being non-GMO. They simply rely on statements and documents from their suppliers.
Just eat real, organic food, preferably from your local farmer. Ask them where they get their seeds, if they use any pesticides. Did you know most fruit from your supermarket travels an average of 1500 miles! Can’t ask that farmer what kinds of seeds he used, now can you?
If there is ANY possibility the product is genetically modified, we just ask that it be labeled. We have a right to know what is in our food. Just let us know and make up our own minds. I personally do not want my food being made in a lab. I prefer what God intended and that was to eat off the land, as pure and as clean as possible.
And going back to the olden days, like your Dr said “everything in moderation”. A baked good now and then won’t kill you, some modified potatoes won’t either. My concern, like most of yours is, we are eating this food by mass consumption now. It is in virtually EVERYTHING we eat. Therefore, moderation goes out the window. Has anyone researched what these huge quantities are doing to us? We can’t escape genetically modified foods if we are to eat and live on this planet. The only thing we can do is research, inform ourselves and spread the word to others.
You CAN MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD by going to Millions against Monsanto and signing their petition, and as always I look forward to your comments.
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine (www.aaemonline.org/gmopost.html)
- Institute for Responsible Technology (www.responsibletechnology.org)
- Non GMO Shopping Guide (www.nongmoshoppingguide.com)
- Natural News (www.naturalnews.com)
- Safe Food (www.safe-food.org)
- Organic Consumers Association