After I posted the recipe for the Candied Pecans it got me to thinking (very prematurely I might add) about other Holiday Treats. Let’s face it, starting with Halloween right on down to Christmas we are inundated with commercials pushing all kinds of very unhealthy, processed foods on us.
I still like to feel a part of the holidays and I enjoy baking just as much as the next person, but I want to do it in a healthier way. I’ve made these Coconut Macaroons several dozen times and I am always pleased with them. I played around with the recipe enough to get the sugar as low as I could without sacrificing the macaroon entirely.
I have not experimented with other sweeteners such as honey or pure maple syrup. Maybe one day in the future I will. In the meantime, here are step by step pictures for you to enjoy and entice you to make these delicious macaroons.
STEP BY STEP:
1. Gather your 6 ingredients and 2 bowls
2. Combine the coconut, flour and sugar together in one bowl
3. Then combine the egg whites, salt and vanilla in another bowl. A lot of recipes call for whipping the egg whites. I found when I did that it gave the macaroon more of a meringue type of texture which I didn’t care for. So these whites are just left alone.
4. Add the coconut mixture to the egg mixture and smoosh with your hands until combined
5. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop or just your hands, roll the mixture into 14 similar sized balls and put on a baking sheet. I always use a Silpat when baking! LOVE them!!! Nothing burns ~ ever!
6. Bake on the middle rack at 325 for 16-18 minutes. Let them cool before removing them to a plate or cooking rack.
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂