For a fruit that’s so fabulous and delicious, finding one that’s perfectly ripe—and keeping it that way—can be almost impossible to do.
Here are 4 easy hacks that make shopping, storing, and using avocados crazy easy, along with using those over ripe ones!
Pull Don’t Squeeze
We’ve all given an avocado a squeeze to tell whether it’s ripe, but doing so will actually bruise the fruit. Instead, pull the little stem at the top.
- If it comes off easily and you see green underneath, the avocado is ripe—
- If you see brown, it’s overripe.
- But what if the stem won’t budge? Then your avocado isn’t ready yet.
Ripen it with an Apple
If you need to use a too-firm avocado in a day or two, simply use the apple trick. Stick the ripe avocado in a paper bag with an apple and roll the paper bag closed. Place it on the kitchen counter and as they sit together the fruit emits a gas that promotes ripening.
Your avocado should be ripe in a day!
Now that you’ve gotten your avocado ripe and used only half of it, what do you do with the other half? Try refrigerating it in an airtight container with half a sliced onion, which will keep the fruit somewhat green for up to a day.
You can also rub the cut side of an avocado with lemon or lime juice, or apple cider vinegar and store it in an airtight container for up to a day.
Or you can buy this handy gadget at Amazon.
Don’t waste that peel
I personally have never done this, but I do have 2 avocados on my window sill that will either hit the garbage tonight or perhaps make a mask. I hear avocados do amazing things for your skin, especially in the winter. It’s high time I try this!
- All you need to do is to blend 1/2 an avocado, 1 teaspoon yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon honey together.
- Using a fork mash the avocado until it’s soft and then mix in the honey and yogurt to make a paste.
- Apply it to your skin for 10 – 15 minutes and remove it by washing your skin with lukewarm water.
Try these great recipes and you may not have any leftover avocado to worry about!