If you’re looking for a fun and festive way to spread holiday cheer this year, try making this homemade Peppermint Body Scrub. The best part about this scrub (for me anyway) is that I’m using sugar in a GOOD way! 🙂
I started making my own body scrubs when I bought some essential oils last year. I love how easy they are to make, it takes about 5 minutes, they smell amazing and they are so economical. I decided to make a bunch for the holidays for my family and friends and since they were so well received, I wanted to share them with you.
You simply mix coconut oil, sugar and about 10-12 drops of essential oil together. Put the mixture into a glass mason jar and I chose to add a candy cane and snippets from my Christmas tree tied with festive red and white yarn to pull it all together.
You can use any essential oil you like really, but for the holidays I wanted to use Peppermint Essential Oils for the wonderful minty smell they bring. I wish computers had smellivision !!! These body scrubs really do smell wonderful.
They are ridiculously simple to make and I even included free printable labels so you can share them with your family and friends too! Click here for theHU Peppermint Body Scrub PDF.
Reasons you should use/make your own body scrub:
- Your skin will look, feel, and smell better than ever before.
- Depending on the essential oil (or none at all) one small jar of coconut oil sugar scrub can be your face wash, exfoliator, eye make-up remover, and moisturizer all-in-one! I wouldn’t necessarily recommend peppermint oil for your face. Grapefruit essential oil, lemon or even lavender (used minimally) would be a better choice.
- You’ll save money over store-bought products.
- When you make your own skincare products, you will know exactly what’s in them.
- You can be sure your glass jars are BPA free and help save the environment.
What’s in it:
- 3/4 cup white granulated plain old sugar (you can also use brown sugar or sea salt)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (Trader Joes carries it as well as most supermarkets. Or my usual back-up….Amazon)
- 10-15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
How to make it:
- Combine the sugar and coconut oil in a bowl and using a fork or spoon or even pastry cutter, combine the 2 until you can no longer see the sugar.
- Then add the essential oils and mix again.
- That’s it! 🙂
- On your hands and elbows ~ Massage into skin for approximately 30 seconds. Rinse and pat dry.
- On your legs and feet ~ Massage into legs while in the shower or bath. Be very careful about putting the body scrub on your feet and heels as the coconut oil will make it very slippery and you risk falling. So please use caution when using the scrub on your feet.
Storing your Coconut Body Scrub:
- I use these small mason jars from Amazon. I’ve used several types of mason jars and find that the 6 oz ones work best for scrubs. You’re better able to get your fingers to the bottom of the jar.
Why Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Due to the presence of mentho, peppermint and peppermint oil can be found in a lot of applications, in soaps for instance, shampoos, toothpaste, gum, tea and ice cream.
- Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint and is native to Europe.
- Historically, the herb has been known for its medicinal uses, and because of it’s long use, it is known as the world’s oldest medicine.
- Some of the top reasons people use peppermint oils are for muscle pain, sinus pressure, joints, reduces hunger, it’s a natural energizer, etc.
If you are interested in learning more about essential oils, please click here.
What I used to make this body scrub: